American Cancer Society Patient Resource Specialist - Remote - Austin, TX in Austin, Texas
Patient Resource Specialist - Remote - Austin, TX
- Job ID:
- Functional Area:
- Position Type:
- Experience Required:
1 - 3 Years
Texas - Austin
National Cancer Information Center
- Education Required:
- Relocation Provided:
Email a Friend
Apply with LinkedIn
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2.5 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Remote - Work from home position
• The position pays 17.07/hr. (For suburbs outside of Austin, there may be 5% differential)
• You will receive a $45 monthly stipend for internet
• Must live in Austin or Greater Austin Market.
• Full-Time, Monday-Friday, shift will fall during 7:00am-9:00pm.
• Shifts are 7.5 hours paid, Monday – Friday with an unpaid 30 or 60 minute lunch/dinner.
• Weekly schedule will be consistent; may submit a change request after six months.
Our WORK FROM HOME positions fill quickly, APPLY TODAY!
Assists patients in achieving the best possible health outcome by facilitating access to American Cancer Society patient programs as well as community resources to assist with cancer-related needs such as transportation, lodging, and support. The goal of the specialist is to help patients overcome barriers to cancer treatment. Develops and maintains strong working relationships with field staff, volunteers, and health care systems.
The PRS matches national and local resource support leading to improve quality of life for cancer patients who are referred or contact the Society. The PRS demonstrates exceptional relationship building skills to develop trust and loyalty between callers and the American Cancer Society. This position is critical to the promotion and enhancement of the ACS Cancer Control mission, goals, and objectives.
• A space free of distractions with stable internet connectivity.
• Internet connection with a speed of at least 10 MBPS download & 2 MBPS upload.
• Modem/Router with a minimum of 2 ethernet ports, and accessible for direct plug in to your Desktop and Phone. Wi-fi connectivity is not permitted.
• Dedicated office space must be large enough to fit 2 monitors. Monitors are 22-inch wide screen monitors.
• Must pass a typing proficiency test of 50 WPM
• Must satisfactorily pass a technology assessment
• Must be able to provide proof of homeowners/renters insurance
The American Cancer Society will provide some of the technical hardware equipment for you to perform in your role including desktop computer, two 22 inch monitors, phone, headset, keyboard & mouse, webcam, surge protector, adapters and connectors, and miscellaneous supplies
• Handles high volume patient related inbound and/or outbound contacts in a consistent and customer focused manner
• Develops and maintains strong working relationships with patients, field staff, volunteers, and health care systems
• Responsibilities may include providing health insurance assistance and resource or program information
• Helps patients complete treatment protocol by removing barriers to care and connecting to appropriate transportation, lodging and other resources
• Systematically researches options and provides patients, caregivers and families with information regarding ACS programs and services, and other local and national cancer-related resources using approved data sources
• Coordinates ACS transportation, lodging and support programs
• Provides courteous, timely and professional service to all internal and external customers/constituents, including patients, survivors, caregivers, health care professionals, volunteers and field staff partners
• Captures complete patient information and documents interaction in the constituent database, including identification and documentation of unmet needs
• Escalates complex issues to the appropriate knowledgeable resource
• Meets established quality and productivity goals
• Assesses the caller’s emotional status and promotes psycho-social support resources, as needed
• Strives for first contact resolution
• Takes ownership of constituent inquiries ensuring total constituent satisfaction
• Maintains current knowledge of work related processes and policies
• Maintains a cohesive team environment and utilizes coaching and feedback to improve performance
• Reports problems related to callers, operations, telephone system and/or system
hardware/software to appropriate resource
• Abides by ACS policies, procedures, and security requirements
• Performs other duties as assigned
Call Center experience preferred
• One-year relevant experience in patient services, public health or customer service preferred
Demonstrates NCIC Mission Delivery Competencies:
• Being resilient - Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
• Communicates effectively - Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Customer focus - Builds strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
• Decision quality - Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
• Ensures accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments
• Interpersonal savvy - Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
• Strong verbal communication and listening skills required
• Demonstrated written communication skills required
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively within a team environment
• Strong customer service orientation
• Bilingual skills (Spanish/English) desirable
• Must be a highly motivated self-starter with initiative and follow-through, with the ability to work in an extremely fast paced team environment with attention to detail
• Exposure to cancer information, medical terminology, social services, and non-profit health organizations preferred
• Ability to adapt quickly to new technology and tools
• Basic familiarity with utilization of Microsoft Office Products (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Comfortable making independent decisions, but willing to seek supervisory input when needed
• Demonstrates core values of compassion, respect, empowerment, stewardship, and trustworthiness
SPECIAL MENTAL OR PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Remote/ Work from Home Position
• None or very limited physical effort required
• We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
• Virtual training is eight weeks long and is broken into three portions. You need to be able to attend every day of training.
• Three weeks and 3 days of Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm classroom training
• One week of mentoring with an existent team member. The schedule varies for this week.
• Four weeks of bridge training, which is also 8:30 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday. Bridge may end up being longer, so may mentoring.